Saturday 23 March 2013

Ei meghla dine akla, ghore thaake na to mon.

Did ever your spirits light up, listening to a song that probably your grandmother adored, then your mum and a 15 year-old you would have been indifferent to? It had happened to me just now and thus the need for this post. Other reasons might have contributed. For example, getting the opportunity to chat with your old school friend (who's also in the same part of the city as you) in pure bengali, about Bibhutibhushan's novels that had chilled you to the core, about Professor Shonku & all his adventures, about your resolutions, how you've turned into a person that probably a 15-year old you would have despised and last but not the least how today's weather in Delhi inspired a particular genre of Rabindrasangeet in you, how the night-watchman gave a start when he heard you singing "paagla haawa baadol dine" and "Aami chini go chini tomare". I was searching for video clips of Satyajit Ray's movies that had Rabindrasangeet played in them. Emaculate, each one of them. I came across this wonderful "adhunik gaan"( though its probably 50 years old, everything post-Rabindrasangeet is adhunik to mum's generation & beyond).
Biswajit lips in this song. And how delightfully he does so. You can be hopelessly in love, hopelessly not in love, waiting for some-one, not-waiting-for-someone..whatever your state might be, the melody will always delight you. Hemanta's sleek voice enchants. I'm sure I've seen this movie quite a few times. Will have to call her up to get the name.
There are times when for days at a stretch, you wait for something to happen that will break the monotony, to enthuse you with life again. This song did that to me, today. I think I will be a more active person tomorrow.
Its 3 in the morning. I better get some sleep.
Sweetdreams to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment