Saturday 26 January 2013

Western ghats beckoning

View of the Western Ghats from the Rajmachi point, Khandala on the Mumbai Pune expressway


The Western ghats always had intrigued me. In fact Western India always had. I had seen the peaks, hills, rain-forests, wildlife sanctuaries and lakes of the Himalayas( right from Kashmir to Darjeeling), the hills of the Vindhyas( Central, South India), the beaches all along the Coromandel Coast(East and South), all the temples and their invaluable architecture( South mainly) but never the West. In 2010 I had made an attempt. I did visit Kerala with a friend and her family. I was absolutely taken away by Munnar, a green retreat in the Nilgiri Hills of the Western Ghats. Munnar was at its greenest and rainiest best when I had first laid my eyes on it on 24th October, 2010. The locals said it hardly stopped drizzling there in that season. We spent only 2 days out of the 15 day trip in Munnar. I knew I had to come back.
Today sitting in my couch in Delhi, I realize that in not more than 6 months I am going to be within a half an hour driving distance of the beautiful Ghats. I think more than the Arabian Sea, it is the green hills of western ghats that I am looking forward to. Cheers to wishes coming true!

4 comments: